Increasing Organic Traffic
Organic search is one of the most effective channels to receive site traffic. People use search engines to find and research products and services prior to finalizing their buying decisions. Search results are broken down into two different seach results, "Paid" and "Organic".
"Paid" search results, also known as PPC or SEM, is ranked based on paid ads that advertisers bid on for specific keywords through Google Adwords. "Organic" search results are ranked based on web content and authority links to your website. Blogging is an effective way to generate "Organic" search results.
Who Reads Blogs Anyways?
- Search Engines Read Blogs. The main function of search engines are to provide the user with the most relavant information on the web based on a keyword search. Search engines read and scan the web for content, context, keywords, and links. Each blog post you produce becomes a new indexed link on search engines. Producing more blogs creates more potential of being found based on keywords you are trying to rank for.
- Potential Customers Read Blogs. People read online content to research things they're interested in before making a buying decision. Blogs can provide content that can help educate potential customers to solve problems they are experiencing.
- Industry Inflencers Read Blogs. Industry influencers and leaders also read blogs to stay current on content in their industry. When they find something of value, they usually share it to their network of hundreds or thousands for people online.
Here Are 5 Steps to Kick Start Your Blogging
Like any content strategy, blogging can be a beast that needs to be fed frequently. The beast will eat you up if you don't feed it consitently. Having a solid plan and resources can help feed this content beast that will increase organic traffic. Below are 5 tips to increase organic traffic through blogging.
1. Write To Attract Your Buyer Personas
Its always good to start writing your content for people not just for search engines. Black Hat SEO tactics to get ranked high by keyword stuffing content is out and writing good quality content is what helps your content get found online.
Understanding your buyer personas and providing them content that will solve their needs and problems will definately increase your traffic and engagement online.
2. Develop a Keyword Strategy
A Keyword strategy is the foundation of Search Engine Optimization. Optimizing your content for search engines requires you to build a keyword list that you would use to write your content around. There are alot of different tools to help you determine what keywords you should be optimizing for. Below are a few tools you can use.
Some of these tools will suggest keywords based on a competitor's URL, your own URL, or keywords that you want to rank for. Always consider the competition/difficulty of these keywords when planning your strategy. To get ranked on the first page of search engines, choose keywords with high traffic and low-medium competition. Use long tail keyword phrases since it is more specific and will attract your targeted personas.
3. Planning Out Your Blog Posts
After choosing your keywords, you have to plan out a content plan based on a few factors. Below are some ideas on some factors to consider when creating your content plan.
- Persona- Which persona is this blog written for? How can we help this persona solve their challenges or needs?
- Topic or Keyword- What keyword or topic are we going to write this blog around?
- Buyer's Journey- What stage of the buyer's journey would this be for? Is this blog for the awareness stage, consideration stage, or decision stage of the buyer's journey?
- Content Structure- How are we going to structure this blog post? Is this post going to be a List type bog, a "how to", FAQ, or Q&A? Or would we consder curated content, news/trends, or an opinion based blog?
4. Optimizing Your Blog For the Web
There are a few places your targeted keyword needs to be to ensure its optimized for organic search.
- URL- Start your URL with the target keyword
- Meta Page Title- Make your title is keyword rich and use | to separate words. Also make sure your title is 70 characters max.
- Meta Description- Explain what the page is about with your targeted keyword and add a "Call to Action". 150 character max.
- Body Copy- Add keywords throughout your body copy but make sure they are used in context and sound natural for a reader to understand.
- Header Tags- Use keywords on header tags to describe and organize content throughout the body text.
- Image Alt Text- Describe all images you upload with and use of your targeted keywords.
5. Keeping it Organized
There are many resources online to help you organize your blogging activities. Our team uses a few tools and worksheets to help us stay organized. A content schedule and calendar planned out for 3-6 months helps us stay organized for the topics we blog about.
We also use a blog concept worksheet to help us get ideas on blog topics, keywords and styles of how we would post. Most inbound focused companies dedicate at least 20 hours a week on content planning and blogging. Remember to monitor your calendar and update your team on responsibilities they may have on projects. Project management tools such as Basecamp also helps us stay organized and updated as a team.
Always remember to write to attract you buyer personas and develop a keyword strategy. Then you can plan out your blog posts, optimize them for the web, and keep organized with the many resources online. Using these 5 tips can help you feed the content beast and increase organic traffic to your website.